“Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it.”
This was my last destination of the day. Right after Juac Island and Subic Beach, we went to this small island located along San Bernardino Straight. This island is just 20 minutes away from Calintaan and Juac Island.
Part of my expedition in Matnog, Sorsogon is to visit Tikling Island. The island is famous because of the pinkish sand due to the red corals. Though there are a lot of pink beaches in the country but this is the nearest to Manila.
How to get to Tikling Island, Sorsogon
Tikling Island is part of the municipality of Matnog, Sorsogon. It lies along San Bernardino Straight which is the route going to Northern Samar. It can only be access through boat and there are no daily trips to island.
From Manila, there are daily bus schedules from Manila directly to Matnog through DLTB, Philtranco, Goldline, Raymond Bus or RSL/Amihan/ Peñafrancia. Travel time is between 14-15 hours. The bus stations are located along Edsa Pasay or LRT Buendia. You can also check their websites for the schedule.
You can also take the Bulan, Sorsogon Route. You just need to tell the driver to drop you off to Brgy. Trece, Bulan then take a tricycle going to Matnog with fare of php50 or php 250 for special trip. If you depart from Manila by 3pm, you will arrive in Bulan by 5am the following day.
If by plane, you can book a flight from Manila to Legazpi or Naga then go directly to their provincial bus terminals then look for a bus going to Matnog, Sorsogon.
Pink Beach in Tikling Island
I have been to a lot of white sand beaches but the shores of Tikling Island fascinated me a lot not only because of its pinkish appearance but it’s a like remote area where there are no cottages, no commercial establishments and apparently the perfect place to unwind, reconcile with nature and suitable to clear your mind.
There are a lot of pink beaches in the Philippines such as Sila Island in Northern Samar, Pundaguitan Beach in Cape San Agustin, Davao Oriental and one in Sta. Cruz Island, in Zamboanga City. So what causes the sand to be pink? Foraminifera or forams are members of a phylum of amoeboid protisits and most are marine which they live on or within the seafloor sediment. Thousands of broken coral pieces, shells, and calcium carbonate materials left behind by foraminifera (tiny marine creatures with red and pink shells) that live in the coral reefs that surrounds the beach blends with the sand
Though Tikling Island is privately owned, tourists are still welcome to explore. Tourists do not need to pay an entrance fee but only donations to the care takers of the island. Part of the island hopping package offered by Alex Geneblazo is to visit Tikling. I also saw a family of wild boar in the island. I was amazed that they are harmless and domesticated. I spent less than 2 hours in the island because I needed to catch the next boat ride going to Biri Island, Northern Samar. But I will definitely go back and will spend a night in the island.
Island Hopping Boat Fee
- Day Tour – Php 1, 650 (group of 10)
- Overnight – Pho 2, 650 (group of 10)
- Alex Geneblazo (Tour Operator & Owner of Juac Marine Sanctuary) – 09183045437
- For Solo Traveler – Please contact Alex Geneblazo first and ask if you can join a group.
- Bus Fare (Manila to Bulan) – Php 1000 RT Php2000
- Tricycle Fare (Bulan to Matnog) – Php 100
- Island Hopping Fee – Php 1, 650 (solo)
- Fish Food – Php 100
- 3:00 pm – 4am – Manila to Bulan Sorsogon (took this route since I went to Buendia LRT DLTB Bus Terminal.
- 4:00 am – 5: 45 am- Took tricycle from Bulan rotunda in Brgy. Trece going to Matnog.
- 6:00 am – 7:30 am – Visited Juac Island Marine Sanctuary. Kuya Alex allowed me to swim and became my underwater videographer.
- 8:00 am – 9: 00 am – Visited Calintaan Island (Subic Beach Laki & Subic Liit coves)
- 9:15 am – 10: 30 am – Visited Tikling Island and enjoyed the pink beach alone.
- 11:00 am – 11:30 am – Went back to Matnog mainland and opted not to have an overnight since my plan was to be at Biri Island by 5:30 pm.