“The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be.”
After my island hopping experience at Nueva Valencia, I decided to immediately go to Bacolod City because I was interested to visit Lakawon Island to try the floating bar, beaches is Sipalay, Campueastohan in Silay and Mambukal in Murcia. However, I did not realize that those destinations are from each other and I also have one day. Good thing, I have a friend from Bacolod City and gave me an overview of the destinations. So, I decided to go to Mambukal due to lack of time.
Mambukal Resort has been existing in Murcia, Negros Occidental for many years. This is one of the main tourist destinations in the province. I was also interested what the place can offer for travelers.
How to get to Murcia, Negros Occidental
Murcia is one of the first class municipalities under the 3rd district of Negros Occidental. Mambukal Resort is the most popular tourist destination of the municipality. Going to Murcia is not difficult and the travel time will only take about 1 – 1.5 hours depending how early you depart from your hotel. From Bacolod City proper, you will need to ride a jeep with Shopping- Libertad route because the terminal is located at Libertad Market. The minimum fare is php7 and the travel time is about 10 minutes but then again it will still depend since Bacolod is already a city and expect traffic. I suggest that you leave early because the first bus going to Murcia is at 4am. However, Shopping-Libertad jeeps starts at 5am, so I was able to take the second trip. Do not expect that the type of buses going to the place is the same buses we have in Manila. It is a rural place, so expect the old school type of bus with a combination of metal rust and wood but it is safe.
Mambukal is a township resort located at Brgy. Minoyan, Murcia, Negros Occidental. The resort is directly governed by the provincial government which was established in 1923 which was to serve as a weekend getaway for the government officials and their guest.
There are 7 waterfalls in Mambukal Resort. You will need to trek with a local tour guide and prepare yourself physically for the uphill and downhill route. However, falls number 4 and 5 are temporarily closed due to big rocks may fall because of the rain.
You also get to experience their hot spring pools with temperatures from 38 – 42 degrees with an entrance fee of php50. I suggest to go there early because the pool area gets crowded by 10am onward.
There are a lot of activities you can do in the resort. Start of with trekking the 7 waterfalls, you can go swimming in their cold spring pools, slide for life (zipline), boating in the lake area, wall climbing, canopy walk, enjoy their butterfly sanctuary and camping. You can visit their official website to get more information. Mambukal Resort
You get to experience different type of butterfly species in their Butterfly Garden for php 30 entrance fee. I departed from the resort by 1am but it took me almost to 2 hours of going back to the hotel because of traffic and the bus stopped many times to get passengers. I also have php150 to the tour guide because they are in shifting schedule. They are only allowed one tour per guide in day.
- Jeep Fare (City Proper) – php 7 (RT Php 14)
- Bacolod to Murcia – php 35 (RT Php 70)
- Mambukal Entrance Fee – Php 50 per pax
- Hot Spring Pool Fee- Php 50 per pax
- Butterfly Garden Fee – Php 30 per pax
- Tour Guide Tip- Php 150
- The Ruins entrance fee- Php 100
- RoRo Fee (Bacolod to Iloilo City) – Php 80
- Taxi Fare (Dumangas to Iloilo City) – Php 150 (shared with other passengers)
- 4:00 am – 5:00 am – Preparation to go to Murcia
- 5:15 am – 5: 20 am – Jeep ride going to Murcia Terminal in Libertad, Bacolod City.
- 5: 30 am – 7:00 am – Arrived at Mambukal Resort and orientation with the guide.
- 7:15 am – 9:00 am – Trekked the 7 waterfalls in Mambukal
- 9: 15 am – 9:30 am – Breakfast (there are restaurants inside the resort)
- 10:00 am – 11:00 am – Dipped at the hot spring pool
- 11: 15 am – 12:00 pm – Visited the butterfly sanctuary
- 12: 30 pm – 1: 00 pm – Photo ops at the man- made lake
- 1:30 pm – 3: 00 pm – Departed at Mambukal Resort and went back to Ong Bun
- 3: 15 pm – 4: 00 pm – Rest then took a bath then left for the Ruins
- 4: 15 pm – 5: 00 pm – Arrived at the Ruins and stayed for photo ops.
- 5:00 pm – 5: 30 pm – Departed at the Ruins going to terminal for ferry back to Iloilo
- 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm – Missed the last boat and took the RoRo going to Dumangas Port
- 8:00 pm – 8: 30 pm – Took a cab from Dumangas back to UP Iloilo and ate dinner.
- 9:00 pm – 10:00 pm – Looked for hotel within the city then rest.
- 11:00 pm – Lights off